Monday, February 2, 2009

Old Friends and New Sights


This is the view from the kitchen window where I am staying. It's a great example of the many apartments - both new and old with a view of the old city across the river.
Today I had a few hours to spend with my dear translator (when I taught here in Kyiv). It was a wonderful time of catching up. We laughed and cried and laughed some more. We walked down Kreshatic street arm in arm. You can see vivid effects of the financial crisis here. Stores actually have merchandise on sale - a very rare thing to find here - and many fewer cars on the roads. They are warning that the worst is yet to come. Apparently they have been given a March date of some very hard times.


The time came for us to part ways and I began my journey home. I got this great idea that instead of taking the bus from the subway station I should walk. That didn't last long because it is VERY cold here today. So then I began looking for my bus, and looking, and looking... To make a long story short, I took a very scenic way back tonight. Always an adventure I suppose. Thankfully, I recognized some landmarks and metro stops and was able to circle back without much trouble. The other good news is that I hit a new record on my pedometer today. LOL! It is just a little different to be in cold weather when you are running from a store or building into a car and then into another building... somehow hitting a milestone on a pedometer in 0 degree weather changes your perspective on what being cold means!


Tomorrow I get to spend some time with the folks from Great Commission Ministries. I will hear more about their ministries here and how God has brought them here and continues to lead them. I am looking forward to this immensely!


I am also extremely grateful for my sister-in-law's positive report from the doctor today! God is good, all the time... All the time, God is good.

No comments: