Sunday, July 15, 2007

inspiration

A few of my friends have inspired me to start blogging again...

It's very cathartic for me, and I guess if you don't want to hear my ramblings then you don't have to log on.

I wrote the following in Ukraine last winter: (it kind of explains the origins of 'geography is irrelevant')

My screen saver on my laptop is ‘As you are going’. As it bounces around on my screen everyday, I am reminded of the commission given broadly to believers by Jesus just before His ascent to heaven. I remember understanding while preparing to speak to a group of high school students last year the vast command and the specific implications in my life. Every time someone in Ukraine introduces me as a missionary from Michigan I smile. Even though I have always tried to live out my faith deliberately with those that God places in my path, living oversees for a semester has definitely brought a new perspective to making disciples as I am going or as I am living my life. This is perhaps the starkest revelation to me in Ukraine is simply that I am living life. Different location, similar daily struggles, similar day to day annoyances, and similar joys and triumphs. In Retreat with the Psalms, the authors speak of a woman who spends time in a monastery. She reflects that you can’t dress perfectly either outwardly or inwardly when you go to church numerous times everyday. It is the realness of life with a God who knows all of my strengths, weaknesses, challenges and triumphs before they even happen. It is about the sincerity of my heart before a Holy God as I struggle to live out His Kingdom while learning a different culture. It is about learning some new aspects of how I am created as I live outside of my comfort zone and appreciate some of our cultural differences.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

glad to have you back Amy!!

sherry lee said...

"inspiration" ~
~ let it be known that I have
been...
this is my very 1st "Blog"!
I am hungry for this kind of spiritual dialog...
Thank you Amy!
I will be praying for you "As you are going"...
sherry lee